About Sandesh...

A proud citizen of India living in the city of Pune. A software engineer by profession with more than decade of software development experience, currently innovating at Vmware. An active social worker associated with one of the biggest NGOs in the world, the Art of Living. Thanks for visiting my blog, leave me a comment if you like what I scribble here!

Sunday, September 26, 2010

Celebrating Diwali this year with a Cause

Hola!

I have heard/read this experience many times from people who are sensitive and who care for fellow human beings of their society, country... Whenever we stop at a signal we see these tiny kids doing aerobatics and then begging for some money/food etc to the passerby. The expressions on their face crushes our heart and we wish to do something for them but we don't know how and then the signal goes green and soon we forget about them and get back to our busy lives...

India is rapidly becoming a society where a very few have majority of the wealth and the rest of the country is facing issues right from the basic needs of human life. How this country still keeps running is an amazing miracle for me!!! It is observed that people from villages are coming to the metros in search of livelihood which is leading to a herd of serious issues in our cities. It is also found that Naxalism is on rise in rural and tribal parts of India. Isn't it but natural that one day the poor common man at the lowest layers of society is going to rebel against the system?

The question is "what can I do to change the situation? Sit and complain about the system, the politicians, the janta? The answer is No. But how can I make a difference?

Well this year I found one great noble cause for which I can give my time and efforts which gives me some level of satisfaction that I am doing something for the less fortunate ones in our society in a way shaping a better future for the citizen of this country...

There are many free schools run in the tribal regions of India by Art of Living under the trust of Sri Sri Vidya Mandir. Families in which many generations did not get education, their children are being imparted education. Such a project needs dedicated efforts of many and we have such a great team of people who have dedicated their lives for this project. A project of this magnitude needs funds to run and who can provide these funds?

I believe the best way is to make any such project self-sustainable by self-generating the funds rather than rely on donations. For last few years the Sri Sri Tribal schools in Chattisgarh and nearby states of North-East India have been successfully implementing a fund-raising project... the drawings done by the school children are converted into greeting cards and sold through volunteers in order to raise money for these tribal schools.

I got to know about it this year from my colleague at Cisco... Yateen who has been involved in this cause with such a dedicated effort. So this Diwali I decided to join hands to help bring light of education to few more lives of tribal children of India... All I have to do is to talk to a few people I know who own/work in a company/business and ask them to use this cards to send Diwali wishes to their family/friends/clients/business-partners, etc. If you also like this idea and wish to join me in this noble cause, do call me or write to me about how many cards do you want, when and where... I can share with you a few samples of these cards if you wish and if we have an order in large quantity, we can even customize the card message for a company, etc.

Sangatchatvam!!! (Lets Move Together)
Sandesh

P.S. If you are an AOLite, check out http://aoluniverse.blogspot.com/ am sure you'll find it quite useful:-)

No comments: